Saturday, September 5, 2009

Train robbery

September 5, 2009
Labor Day weekend!

Like the bad penny, we return to terrorize the hapless citizens of Portland, ME.

This time, instead of the huge bus (like we usually end up having at the end of the day) there was a huge cruise ship docked at the harbor! Me and Dave saw it as soon as we crested the hill to head down to the waterfront! It was huge...meaning there would be a lot of people...

Our observations did not disappoint.

I had the little dog with me, so I was planning on setting up a table like I did last time, unfortunately I forgot to tell Mike I was going to do that & he did not bring the table. Instead me and the little dog rode the train and I kept up dialog with passengers during the day as we had a packed train almost every ride.

Todd, unfortunately, was asked to galvanize again. He comes from Florida to go gray (well, he has family up here, too, but that's besides the point!). I am going to have to do something about that. I learned how to use the rifle for just this kind of situation when we are short of hands.

The number of people who came to ride the train was great. They did not have the steam engine going because they could not get the guy who stokes the coals to come up and spend the day. I do not blame him, it was labor day weekend and he probably had to choose between driving up from Mass. or going to a family picnic... personally, I would drive up from Mass. to stoke the coals, but that is just me. The part I disliked the most was that everything smelled like diesel and it kind of took away from the ambiance. Oh, well, the spectators enjoyed it & that is all that matters.




The little dog loves Kate. She was here when we picked him up at Logan Airport at 11:30pm...ask her about the FedEx trucks...

No comments: