Thursday, July 5, 2007

How it all began...


So, I met this guy. He seemed harmless enough. We met at school, we started talking and the real ice breaker came when I saw the license plate on his truck and said "Oh, so you're the moron from Louisiana! Why the hell did you come up to New England?!" I thought I was going to have to perform CPR (scary prospect). Well, to make a long story short, we flirted in near zero temperatures for a while then went on a date. Over a year later and I'm still dating him, so there must be something good there, oh yeah, the truck.

Well, last October (2006) he asks me if I would be interested in Civil War re-enacting. I said, "Sure!" It makes sense, I already dress up for Anime conventions so it's right up my ally. I then asked him the ever so important question - "Which side are we going to be on?" Without even missing a beat he looked at me and said "I love you, but not enough to put on a blue uniform." I just shrugged and replied, "Okay, the Southern women had better dresses." Now, you may be wondering, what self-respecting Northern born woman would agree to that? Love? Stupidity? Racism? No, it was for the history (and the fashion), besides the Union troops need someone to shoot at when everyone gets together at the re-enactments. Oh, and it was for the truck, too.

Going off the whole, "what self-respecting northerner..." idea, I thought to myself, where are we going to find a Confederate group in New England? Well, the one we found and like happened to be in the Farmington, Maine area (figures)...about three hours from our residence...I was not going to be happy if we didn't like these people. A six hour round trip in a car that gets less than ideal gas milage and is WAAAY over it's alloted miles, they had BETTER be worth it! And they are. We met, and fell in love, with the 15th Alabama Company G. We enjoy these people more than some people we have known for much longer, and they are worth the six hour round trip. Thank goodness I have such wonderful people in my life.

I guess it all worked out in the end, and I still get the truck.

No comments: